With today’s modern furnishings, fires can spread much faster than in the past. It is essential to install smoke detectors correctly and making sure they are in working order to give you warning to get out quickly.
Smoke detectors should be installed on each level of the house, including the basement, and within 15 feet of every sleeping area. Smoke detectors should be installed in every bedroom. Placement should be on the ceiling or high on a wall. Basement installation should be on the ceiling at the bottom of the stairs leading to the next level. Keep smoke detectors at least 10 feet away from a cooking appliance to avoid false alarms.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, tasteless and nonirritating gas that is a natural by-product of combustion when fuel-burning appliances are operating. These appliances can include gas furnaces, gas water heaters, fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, gas ranges or ovens, gas dryers, kerosene heaters, charcoal/gas grills, lawn mowers, snow blowers, and chain saws. A crack in the flue system, blocked chimney, appliance malfunction or car left running in an attached garage are some of the ways CO can leak indoors, making residents sick.
Exposure to lower levels of CO over several hours can be just as dangerous as exposure to higher levels for a few minutes. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can mimic the flu and include headache, fatigue, sleepiness, nausea, trouble breathing, diarrhea and dizziness.